With great faith and expectation, the CFC church family has entered a 28-day season of fasting and focused prayer from February 9 through March 8, 2014. We will be seeking the Lord concerning the future direction of CFC, upholding our leadership, praying for the body, and interceding for those in our community who do not know Christ. Links to information, resources, and tips on fasting are included below.
As you prepare to fast and as you fast and pray, consider these things:
- Confess every sin and acknowledge God’s forgiveness through Christ. “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)
- Seek forgiveness from anyone you have wronged, and offer forgiveness to anyone who has hurt you.
- Ask God to fill you with His Holy Spirit and control you each day.
- By God’s power, call your body into subjection, refuse worldly desires, and become a “living sacrifice” for God. (Romans 12:1-2)
- Confidently make your requests known to God, and have faith that He delights in answering prayers that are in accordance with His will.
- Expect temptation and attacks from the Devil. Satan attacks those who are a threat, and by fasting and praying—you are a threat!
- Drink plenty of water.
- Spend meal times and snack times in prayer and Scripture reading.
Resources on Fasting
- “The Heart of Christian Fasting” blog entry by Don Green, Grace to You, ministry of John MacArthur
- “The Role of Fasting” devotional article, Ligonier Ministries, ministry of R.C. Sproul
- “7 Basic Steps to Successful Fasting and Prayer” and “Your Personal Guide to Fasting and Prayer” articles by Bill Bright, founder of Cru (formerly Campus Crusade for Christ)